How to Choose a Carpet Underlay
Wed 03rd October 2012 by Burts Carpets | posted in Carpets
The underlay plays a key role in the life of your carpet and its value should not be underestimated.
The choice of underlay is very important not only for the feel of your new carpet but also for its performance. The underlay plays a key role in the life of your carpet and its value should not be underestimated.
We have put together a guide in association with information from Interfloor who manufacture Tredaire and Duralay - the U.K.'s leading brands of carpet underlay.
Looking at the image on the right we see a guide as follows -
1. If you want the best comfort you should look at premium products where luxury comfort is needed and foot traffic
2. For better comfort but foot traffic is low (e.g. master bedrooms). Recommended underlays include Tredaire Zest and Brio.
3. Good comfort where everyday comfort and where foot traffic is low or infrequent (e.g. spare bedrooms). We would recommended Tredaire Brio.
4. High traffic and High impact areas where foot traffic is really high (such as the hall stairs and landing) or there is a high impact from heavy furniture . Underlays with high density and recovery rates are needed. We recommend underlays like Duralay Treadmore (crumb underlays with 100% recovery) or Tredaire Sensation.
5. Noise reduction underlays for wood and laminate flooring - Coming to this site soon.
6. Low tog ratings for underfloor heating require specially designed low tog carpet underlays. These will have tog ratings of less than 1. Recommended underlays are Duralay Heatflow Carpet with a tog rating of 0.75.
7. Areas for wheelchair use, walking aids, natural floorcoverings (such as sisal) or border carpets. Please select a double stick underlays such as Duralay System Ten and Durafit 500 or 650.
We hope this guide helps in your selection but if you need any further help or advice please do not hesitate to contact us.